Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Little Diva!

This post  is about a hobby that has kept me fresh and alive in the recent times. Makes me connect so much to nature and gives me immense satisfaction.

The idea to start a water garden was very instinctive. Got inspiration from fellow gardeners who had beautiful ecosystems set up with a water pond in their garden. The whole idea of nurturing a plant in water, caring for them, ensuring the water is very well maintained and clean was a big challenge. But with lots of reading and talks with like minded friends, i decided to set one up, and I am super happy that i did!!

My balcony being a narrow one, all i had was a large enough container which could hold some water plants. I added soil and vermicompost in this container and added water in it. Slowly placed the plants i had inside this container. Used some sand to help settle the soil down and added small pebbles to give it a pond feel:)

Next thing any pond needs is fishes... so there goes where the previous post in my blog came from.. so after adding fishes to this system, the entire setup looks so wonderful! Its such an easily doable thing if we only have the interest for it.

And once set up, this ecosystem becomes self sufficient, the fishes keep the water clean and feed on the algae, the plants settle down and get their fertilizer dose from the fishes!  Basically, i didn't have anything to do beyond this point. All i did was watch nature slowly and steadily settle down and give me suprises :)

And yes the day has arrived when i got this most beautiful surprise from my humble little water body! A first purple lily -A diva indeed !!! :)

No comments: